Monday, February 16, 2009

Last Night's Dinner: Sloppy Joe Casserole

So I know it isn't the healthiest thing in the world, at least not the way I made it. I just had some Manwich in the cabinet, a roll of cresent rolls in the fridge and no bread or buns. It was cheap to make which is something I am looking for in recipes. I will give some suggestions at the bottom of the recipe (in the notes) about how you can make it better.

SLOPPY JOE CASSEROLE

1 lbs hamburger
1 can sloppy joe mix
1 roll cresent rolls
12 oz frozen corn

Heat oven to 425 degrees. ake corn out of the freezer and let it sit at room temp. Lay half of the cresent rolls flat on the bottom of a 9x9 pan and bake for 10 minutes until lightly golden.
Meanwhile brown hamburger. Make sure you break it up with the back of your spoon as it starts to brown, try for smaller than a dime in size. Once hamburger is brown drain it and mix in sloppy joe mix and partially thawed corn.
Layer sloppy joe/corn mix on top of already golden brown cresents. Top with the other half of uncooked cresents and bake for about 10 minutes but no more than 15. You want the top to be a nice golden brown.

NOTES: There are tons of recipes online for homemade sloppy joe mix. I really like knowing what is going into my food so this is what I'm going to try next time I make this.

You can also use ground turkey instead of hamburger.

Bisquits may be another option for the bread part (instead of the cresents). Things that are made from stratch are always so much better in my opinion.

Also I used mixed white and yellow corn in this but either would probably work just fine.

You could also add a layer of shredded cheese between the sloppy joe mix and the top layer of cresents.

MY RATING: 3 out of 5 Joes!

No comments: