Thursday, February 5, 2009

Snack/Dessert: No Marshmallow Rice Krispie Treats

So I bought a big box of Rice Krispies to make some treats with some marshmallows I had sitting around. I ended up not having enough marshmallows and totally messed up the whole batch! So here I am with a big box of cereal and my girls were just not eating it so I had to come up with something. First I looked for a recipe that had Rice Krispies but was not for the treats, this is nearly impossible. So I decided to try to find a recipe for Rice Krispie Treat that had to marshmallows and this is what I found.

NO MARSHMALLOW RICE KRISPIE TREATS

1 c. brown sugar
1 c. brown rice syrup
1 c. peanut butter
7 c. puffed brown rice cereal

Combine sugar and brown rice syrup in saucepan and bring to a near boil while stirring often. Continue stirring until sugar dissolves.
Remove from heat.
Add peanut butter and mix well.
Add puffed rice and mix well.
Press the mixture into a greased pan and put in the fridge for several hours to cool and harden. If you want it to harden faster, stick it in the freezer for about an hour.
Cut into squares and enjoy

NOTES: I used Rice Krispies instead of puffe brown rice cereal and light corn syrup instead of brown rice syrup. They turned out good.

You can use pretty much any cereal you want/have, a friend of mine said she made something like this with grape nuts.

I also cut the recipe in half and used a 9x9 pan, they came out thick and I cut them into bars instead of squares.

MY RATING: 5 treats out of 5

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You didn't mess them up, you simply made your own toasted rice krispy cereal!