Friday, February 20, 2009

Tomorrow's Lunch: Asian Beef and Noodles

I tried this a couple months ago, when I made it I used beef flavored ramen noodles. It turned out ok but it just wasn't filling. I definitely would not make it for dinner, that is why I'm putting it into the lunch category. This came from a cookbook I bought from a school fund raiser, it is under the meats and main dishes section. I like it because it is a reletivly cheap and easy lunch, you could probably even omit the hamburger!

ASIAN BEEF AND NOODLES

1 lbs ground beef
2 packages (3 oz each) oriental ramen noodles, crumbled
2 1/2 c water
2 c frozen broccoli stir-fry vegetables
1/4 tsp ground ginger
2 tbsp thinly sliced green onion

In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat for 4-5 minutes or until no longer pink; drain. Add the contents of one ramen noodle seasoning packet; stir until dissolved. Remove beef and keep warm. In the same skillet, combine the water, vegetables, ginger, noodles and contents of remaining seasoning packet. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3-4 minutes or until noodles are tender, stirring occasionally. Return beef to the pan; cook for 2-3 minutes or until heated through. Stir in onion. Yield: 4 servings.

NOTES: I used a bag of frozen broccoli when I made this, I also didn't use any green onions. 

What I like about this recipe is that (1) it is adding nutrition to something that has virtually none, (2) it is a one dish meal, (3) it is inexpensive!

Like I said before you can substitute hamburger with more veggies, ground turkey or chicken, or maybe even tuna...I'll have to try that! :)

MY RATING: 2 1/2 noodles out of 5

No comments: